Today on Feature Friday we have the wonderful Tammy off of The Freckled Wayfarer, sharing her Top 10 things to do in Newfoundland, Canada.
Be prepared to want to book a flight right away as the pictures are stunning. It's an area of Canada I cannot wait to visit and I am sure after this article, you'll be adding it to your bucket lists too.
1. Visit Gros Morne National Park. It's got something for every nature lover with fjords, mountains, forests, beaches, and bogs. We usually rent a cabin in the center of the park and explore from there.
2. Enjoy a maritime sunset. Some of the most amazing sunsets I've seen have been on "the rock".
3. Climb Signal Hill. Overlooking the entrance of St. John's harbor, Signal hill not only has historical significance but the most brilliant views of the Newfoundland coast line and city of St. John's.
4. Try some touton. Something like a pancake, touton is bread dough fried in a pan with butter. Dip it in molasses for a yummy treat.
5. Hike Cape Spear. The most eastern point of Canada, Cape Spear is majestic. Walk along the coast line alive with birds, fish, and other life in the Atlantic.
6. Visit places like Dildo. I mean, how can you not? Newfoundland has a lot of little communities with the most unusual names. Like Dildo and Come By Chance.
7. Puffin and whale watching. Take a Puffin or whale watching tour on a fishing boat.
8. Become an honorary Newfoundlander. Get screeched in on George Street, St. John's. With a shot of Screech (a local rum) you kiss a cod. And when asked if you want to be a Newfoundlander proudly say: "Deed I is, me ol' cock! And long may yer big jib draw!" Translation? "Yes, I am. And may your sails catch the wind."
9. Experience a jiggs dinner. Also known as a Sunday or boiled dinner. It varies from house to house but the basic idea is visiting with friends and family around a salt beef, some cabbage, potato and a collection of other veggies.
10. Keep adding to your bucket list. There is so much to see and do in Newfoundland. Next time I plan to visit Twillingate Island, the iceberg capital of Canada! I hear it's breath taking.
If you love the outdoors, Newfoundland is a dream come true. Will it be on your bucket list? Have you been? Let everyone know below.